24 June 2005

rough knees

i have been spending a lot of time in prayer lately. there are a few things that have been driving me to my knees lately.

i have recently resigned from my position as the east africa overseer for a growing indigenous missionary sending agency in favor of returning to america to finish off my ministry degree. and though it was hard... i began losing hair and some hair has even turned white (i'm only 24 y'all)!... i know it was the right decision. though my best friend, who became my boss, thinks i quit, i know i am following the path God has for me.

and i've been thinking...

sometimes we drop to our knees only out of need. "oh God, i need to know this from you..." or, "oh Lord, please do this for me..." what about being on our knees out of desire for more of Him? or just wanting to be with Him more?

what i want is rough knees. i'm not going to run out and skin up my knees to get them, but i pray that my knees become rough over the years due to my consistency in prayer. it's not about our posture:

a group of pastors were meeting in one of the pastors' new office discussing prayer postures. "the greatest posture is on the knees," claimed one as he began to roll off with this or that doctrine. "i believe that the greatest posture is prostrate on the floor," stated another. a third pastor threw in his two bits and said, "the greatest time i have ever spent in prayer was on my feet pacing the floor..." a telephone technician was busily scurrying about the floor attempting to connect the pastor's office to telephone and internet access. taking in all that was said, the technician softly interjected, "i know i'm not a gifted theologian, but i have found that the most powerful prayers i have ever prayed have been when i was hanging by my heels fifty feet off the ground fixing a telephone line..."

it is, however, about our heart.

For the world-wide renown of His sovereign glory...

No comments: